Best of Every 2021 - Part II
Dive into the themes the best of what we wrote this year
Knowledge Partner: McKinsey & Company
What might 2022 hold? McKinsey surveyed 5,000 Americans this fall to get a pulse check on US economic opportunity and the challenges workers see. This chart-driven feature distills five big insights. Dive deeper on the data, plus get an early look at some of the 2022 developments to watch for in this can’t-miss new article.
Happy New Year!
We're offering a limited 20% discount on an Every subscription between now and next Saturday.
January is the best time to start something new—and so for anyone who's been waiting for the opportunity to become an Every member now is the time.
If you want to access the best of what we have to offer in 2022—along with access to our member's only Discord, and our archive of hundreds of essays—subscribe now!
Below you can find a list of all the best articles we published last year.
Understanding the Numbers Behind Business
- Revenue: It's Simple Until It Isn't. Finally, a clear explanation of bookings, billings and revenue.
- COGS: How I BankRupted MoviePass. An Intuitive Explainer for How To Lose Money and Win Anyway
- Tech Stock's Favorite Lie to Investors. How the LTV/CAC ratio is manipulated to take advantage of retail investors
- How Valuation Works. A guide to the “right way” (discounted cash flow analysis), and why “everything is dumb right now.”
Company Strategy Breakdowns
- Spotify’s Upcoming “Open Access Platform” is as Surprising as it is Awesome: I hope it becomes a new paradigm for the creator economy
- How Do You Compete With Free? Notion: The Embattled Artist
- A Post-Mortem For Social Podcast Discovery Three reasons why RSS still dominates in audio, but not text.
- Twitter's Longform Strategy: What does the future hold for readers and writers on Twitter?
- Assessing Clubhouse's Post-Pandemic Future: Also: Getty Images acquires Unsplash, LinkedIn’s new creator mode, the math behind MrBeast’s businesses, and more
- How Oatly Wins: Stories that Create Binding Commitments. The difference between branding and storytelling, and why it matters now more than ever
- Product-Led Growth's Failure: How a Scrappy Utah Software Company Ignored Every Silicon Valley Heuristic and Won Anyway
- Investing on Instinct. Why the best deals are done with no data at all.
- Goodbye Gas Fees: Hello Layer 2 Living. It's like driving a Prius but cooler
- Living Tax-Free Off Magical Internet Money. Swish and flick.
- Will DAOs Replace Corporations? Or, how NounsDAO plans to take over the world
- How Resilient is the Internet? Recent outages test the limits of a centralized internet
- Our Pseudonymous Selves The Past, Present, and Future of Online Identity
The Intersection of Productivity and Psychology
- The Theology of Productivity: Exploring why productivity can feel empty, and how we can make it whole again
- How I Got My Brain Back: Using observation, investigation, and productivity methods to understand my depression
- What is Underneath Productivity?
- The Founder Trap. What happens when the wrong thing works?
- The Inner Ring of The Internet
- Creeping As a Service. How Spoonbill reveals our obsession with identity
- The Blurred Lines of Parasocial Relationships: The disappearing divide between “followers” and “friends”
- Cashing in On Clubhouse. Hustle Culture Takes Center Stage on the Audio Social App
- The Man Who Taught a Robot To Paint. Can a piece of technology democratize the art world?
- The Anti-Fan Phenomenon: Inside the online communities where people love to hate
Productivity Deep Dives
- Who Shaan Puri is Becoming
- The Truth About Mental Models with Shane Parrish
- Walking as a Productivity System
- How the Author of Atomic Habits is Writing His Next Book
- How Flow Saved a Chef
- How David Perell Writes an Essay
- How to Write Philosophy with Dr. Pamela Hieronymi
- How I Bought a Business for $0
- How to See the Future Like a Superforecaster. Predicting the future is a skill. Here's how it works.
- Did We Create a Rip in the Fabric of Space Time?
Things to Listen To
- Li Jin on the journey behind Variant’s new $110M fund to back the ownership economy Variant and Atelier Ventures join forces as the passion economy and the ownership economy converge
- Braintrust's Founders On How To Run a Decentralized Marketplace. Gabe Luna Ostaseski & Adam Jackson on why the way we work is broken and how to fix it
- Alex Lieberman opens up about his move from CEO to Executive Chairman. “I would say the last 3 months have been probably the most anxious months of the last 6 years for me.”
One Tool We Recommend
If you have a paid newsletter, definitely check out Yem. We here at Every are working with them and love it!
Yem helps paid newsletters grow by providing effective personalized messaging to subscribers.
If that sounds like something you're interested you can find more from them here.