Disrupting Disruption Pt. 2 — Ben Thompson

The “divine discontent” critique

Welcome to part 2 of my series on disruption theory!

In part 1, I laid out the classic version of the theory, as Clay Christensen articulated it in the 90s. So now we’re ready to meet the challengers.

First up, of course, is Ben Thompson. He’s the author of Stratechery, creator of “Aggregation Theory”, and the undisputed GOAT of strategy newslettering.

To be clear, Ben Thompson is a huge fan of Clay Christensen. He’s said he thinks disruption theory is “95% right” — but the other 5% must be pretty important to him, given that he’s been developing a critique of it ever since he was a MBA student back in 2010; three years before he founded Stratechery.

Learn more

This post is for
paying subscribers

Subscribe →

Or, login.

Read this next:

Divinations

Instagram can’t recreate TikTok’s Magic

The content format is a red herring. What really matters is the structure and purpose of TikTok’s network, which is antithetical to Instagram.

172 Aug 24, 2020 by Nathan Baschez

Divinations

Bundle Magic

How to make 1 + 1 = 3

128 Apr 16, 2020 by Nathan Baschez

Divinations

Substack’s Ideology

The point isn’t just to make money—it’s to change the systems that human attention flows through. You can’t understand Substack without understanding this.

134 Mar 16, 2022 by Nathan Baschez

Chain of Thought

This VC Is Slowly Automating His Job

How Yohei Nakajima uses GPT-3 to eliminate repetitive tasks

51 Feb 3, 2023 by Dan Shipper

Developing a Worldview

The art of shared meaning-making

44 Jan 31, 2023 by Casey Rosengren

Understand AI

Get one actionable essay a day on AI, tech, and personal development

Subscribe

Already a subscriber? Login