Will Twitter’s New ‘Super Follow’ Feature Work?
Also: Facebook’s take on short-form music creation, Charli D’Amelio’s distribution power, influencer marketing on Clubhouse, and more
And now, onto the news…
Top Stories in the Passion Economy, 03/05/21
Twitter Announces Super Follow
- Twitter recently announced Super Follow, a Patreon-esque subscription feature that enables creators to accept direct payments from followers for exclusive perks such as bonus tweets, community access, newsletters, or supporter badges. Twitter’s take-rate on these payments has not been disclosed yet.
- Twitter also announced a feature called Communities, it’s take on Facebook Groups.
- Twitter is projecting an increase in revenue from $3.7 billion in 2020 to $7.5 billion in 2023, with 315 million monetizable DAUs.
What this means:
- It looks like Stir is now the new product experiment group for Twitter—remember OnlyTweets?!
- Twitter already serves as the top-of-funnel lead generation for many creator businesses, but those fans are funneled elsewhere (e.g. Substack, Patreon, OnlyFans). Twitter doesn’t get to keep any of that value. With Super Follow, those creator-fan relationships stay on Twitter and are monetized via Twitter.
- I think it’s a win-win because..