How to be a person on the Internet, with Visakan Veerasamy
Or, why friendly ambitious nerds will change the world
You know how sci-fi movies are always shot in Singapore because it feels like the future there? Well, this week’s guest on Means of Creation hails from Singapore, and I suspect it’s no coincidence that his writing and career feel like the future, too.
Visakan Veerasamy (a.k.a. “Visa”) has become one of my intellectual heroes over the past few years. He uses Twitter as a sort of second brain, organizing his ideas in an ever-expanding corpus of interlinked threads. He’s written several books that he sells directly to his fans on Gumroad, and, this year, he’s focusing on growing his YouTube channel.
So, we’re thrilled to talk to Visa about life as a creator in 2020, and get his perspective on the strengths and weaknesses of various platforms.
But, also, the substance of Visa’s thinking is incredibly useful to creators in the passion economy and anyone who wants to be a better person on the internet. He’s created a tripartite framework of values that I love, which he calls “friendly ambitious nerds”
Here’s a roadmap for our conversation with Visa:
- His journey to being a creator
- How he conceptualized his target audience — the “friendly ambitious nerd”
- What software tools he uses
- How he monetizes, and why
His take on:
- Ebooks vs Courses
Join us live on Zoom
We’re talking to Visa this Friday, September 4th, at 9:15am pacific, 12:15pm eastern! Join us, and bring your questions :)
To join us, become a Means of Creation Premium subscriber!
Things you get when you become a Means of Creation Premium subscriber through the Everything bundle:
- Access to our weekly live shows on Zoom, where you can ask questions and participate in the chat
- Written summaries of each previous show
- Everything else in the bundle, including great stuff from Divinations (on strategy) Superorganizers (on productivity), Napkin Math (on investing), and Praxis (from the inimitable mind of Tiago Forte). And we’re adding new stuff all the time!